....................................................

....................................................

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pie & Pants

Got the call from the doctors office today that I passed my three hour blood sugar test and all is well now! Amen to answered prayers and being able to enjoy some pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving.

Now onto the funny story. I need to give you some background first though. At story time today I almost forgot to tell Ms. Erin Lauren's exciting news. We haven't been to library time in a few weeks due to voting (the library was a voting center) and my doctor appointment last week so the news was almost lost. As I was getting ready to leave I remembered it and Lauren and I went over to her to tell her that...Lauren has started "reading"!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first book Ms. Erin ever read with Lauren was "Fright Train" by Donald Crews (she was 10 months old then). Lauren has checked it out of the library a number of times to bring home and we've read it a billion times at home. Well she checked it out again at the beginning of the month. 

As normal, in the car after library time Lauren looks/reads through all of her new books. This particular week I heard her saying the words to the book. I know the book by heart of course so I knew she wasn't just making up words to go with the pictures. They were the actual words on the page. It was amazing. Later that day I sat to read the book with her and sure enough she had memorized the book- an early sign of literacy. I was blown away. I told Matt and then showed him and he was blown away. I told and showed Matt's mom and she was blown away. This girl is just shy of 2 years old and she has memorized her first book. It is a book I know I'll need to purchase some day because it will forever hold a special place in my heart. She hasn't shown this awesome skill in such force with other books, but she definitely has parts of other books down. 



So on to the funny part. I squat down next to Ms. Erin who is sitting on the floor and I hear the worse sound come from my backside...my pant ripping!!!!!!!!!!! My eyes must have looked like a cartoon characters eyes! I slowly bring my hand around hoping no one else heard that noise and sure enough I could feel my undies. I was so embarrassed. So as I'm sharing this exciting news and watching Ms. Erin start crying over Lauren's accomplishment, all I kept thinking is how on earth do I get to other side of the room with no one seeing my underwear?!?!

I slowly get up and sideways walk over to my bag and our coats, and thank goodness Esther was standing and I'm side talking to her in the quietest voice I can "Can you please get me my jacket. I've ripped my pants" (because of course my stuff is on the ground). As she bends down to get the coat she says "Oh my, they did!" I wrap my coat around my ever pregnant belly (the arms just barely long enough to make the knot)  and we make our way out. 

Once outside I was able to laugh. I mean I had just bent over and split my pants- oh bless my heart!!! Esther and I brainstorm what to do. Our original plans were to head to the park to eat and let the girls play before heading to the second hand kids store. I wasn't about to show up anywhere with my pants in the state that they were. So we headed to her house, which is closer to the library and park than mine and she gives me a pair of her, very comfortable might I add, maternity pants. Nice and stretchy so I hopefully won't be splitting them! 

I called Matt, my mom and my sister to tell them my embarrassing, yet hilarious story as we made our way to Esther's. When I took the pants off I was laughing yet again. This rip wasn't just a little one, it was next to the back pocket and about 10 inches long. I thought about posting a picture, but I'll let you use your imagination on this one. It wasn't on a seam and the pants were by no means tight on me, so I'm thinking it was just warn out??? These are the only jeans I had purchased when I was pregnant with Lauren and I've worn them a lot, but still. 

Glad I can laugh and hope you enjoyed a few giggles yourself! Maybe I should seriously rethink that piece of pie for Thanksgiving...

"...'God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me'." Genesis 21:6 

(This quote is from Sarah about her being so old and bearing a child, but I think she would be laughing with me about this as well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment