....................................................

....................................................

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Our New Set Up...

If you've cared enough to follow my blog you know that we've had a switch-er-rue of the house in anticipation of our bundle of joy coming this February. We own a cope-cod style home and have two bedrooms upstairs and two down. Ever since we've lived here Matt and I claimed the larger room upstairs for ourselves. The smaller room up there served no purpose at all until Lauren came around. We excitedly made it into a nursery just over two years ago. Of the two rooms downstairs, one was our guestroom and the other an office. After Lauren got a bit older the guestroom morphed into a toy room too. So when baby number two came into the picture I was trying to figure out the best new arrangement of bedrooms.

The final plan was to move Matt and I downstairs and ditch the guestroom/toy room, leave the office alone, move Lauren into the bigger room upstairs, and leave the nursery alone. This would allow us a "Kid Zone" upstairs and wouldn't leave any one child abandoned downstairs, with the rest of us upstairs (a bit dramatic I know). 

After painting the old guestroom I started to feel more ownership over this new room and slowly but surely as furniture moved in and new valences have been hung, the room feels more and more like it's our room. I still have plans on hanging pictures and moving some of the wall decorations from our old room upstairs down and I know that after all is said and done it will be even more of a cozy master suite than it has already become. 

I was apprehensive about moving down here, but knew that I was more than okay with it being us and not Lauren or the baby- I just didn't feel right having them in a more venerable part of the house than us (again I understand the drama of this statement and I'm just trying to be honest here). Now, however, I really enjoy our new house arrangement. I love that the upstairs bedrooms are now next to the kids bathroom and that I was able to decorate it all cute/kid appropriate.

I love that our bathroom is away from their rooms too, yet still next to our room. When Lauren was little I would often be annoyed because I would be a lazy/exhausted mommy and not shower first thing in the morning, and when I was ready to shower it was Lauren's nap time. One might think well, what a perfect time to shower when you have a newborn/infant. Well my bathroom was a small thin wall away from her bedroom. I didn't want to accidently drop the shampoo bottle and jolt her awake- oh no I'd rather sacrifice my shower than wake a baby when she wasn't ready. So I'd often put her in the bouncer seat with some toys and set that in the bathroom while I showered. Now there will be no problems with me showering while Lauren or baby #2 sleeps. We'd have the same problem in the morning. Matt would wait until Lauren woke up to shower so he wouldn't wake her earlier. Now because of our wonderful new arrangement when days like today occur, where I had an early doctor appointment causing me to shower before Lauren had awoken, I took my shower with no thoughts of disturbing her- wonderfulness!

Likewise, when we bath Lauren it is wonderful to just wake two feet from the bathroom and get her dressed for bed. I love that I can keep the bigger, more cumbersome potty seat, practically permanently on the toilet upstairs and the small, easy to store seat down here- where we move it on and off five/six times daily. 

Also, L.O.V.E, love that 99% of the toys are upstairs and not taking over my house. I have a few things still downstairs but most of it is upstairs. I was also thinking that will make it easy since this house isn't big and soon we'll have the baby's activity mat, swing, bouncer seat, etc. once again taking up residence down here. 

As we all adjust to our new rooms and the new way the house is organized I think it is helping us prepare for our new little girl. As the baby stuff comes out of storage and things like the bassinet take up residence in places they haven't been for two years, I know we'll start preparing to make room for this new little love. I can't wait to see her personality, look into her eyes, snuggle her little delicate body, and dream of the wonderful woman God will make her into. I pray so much that both my girls have a heart filled with Jesus and a desire to see his everlasting love for them. May they grow to know him and all that he promises for us, and all he has done for us! May this house's changes be the first of many happy changes to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment