....................................................

....................................................

Friday, December 21, 2012

Sometimes all we need is...

...the right motivation. That motivation today happens to be the up and coming visit from my dad and step-mom. I'm thrilled to say they will be arriving sometime on Saturday and we're all excited. I love when family comes to visit, especially around the holidays. 

So what was I motivated to do? Two very simple, less than half hour jobs I've been procrastinating for quiet some time now. I was giggling to myself as I scrapped the old caulk away from the tub side, that I've been wanting/needing to recaulk the bathroom floor by the tub for over a year, and I'm just now doing it. The job took me less than a half hour and it looks great, so why, I ask myself, had I not done it before? I guess all I needed was the right motivation.

Task two even easier! We purchased a "sideboard" for our kitchen. I'm using it as a buffet for my china and stemware. In the drawer of the sideboard I have bowls, small plates, and my cream & sugar bowls. Here's the problem...when you walk around the kitchen with anything heavier than a tip-toe the bowls and plates wiggle around making a rattle noise. It drives me nuts 99% of the time. We've had this new piece of furniture for about four or five months now and today, because I had the right motivation, I put paper towels between the bowls and also some between the plates to stop the rattle every time you walk around the kitchen. No more annoying noise and I think this took me ten minutes. 

I've been thinking about the baby coming and how motivating that has been to get a lot of projects around the house done. I know it's somewhat nesting that is driving me to do things, but the bulk of the motivation is coming from- when in the world am I going to find time to do anything with two kids?? I hope you who read this blog and have more than one kid are laughing at me- I need to be laughed at- but really, Lauren can entertain herself pretty well and I can do things like laundry- oops that reminds me I need to switch the loads.  Okay were was I? Okay, and other household chores, but with two grasping for my attention- will projects get done? 

I think that is why I love it when my dad and Matt's dad come to visit so much. They help us get projects done around here. Not that Matt doesn't help, but sometimes the continuous need to ask him several times and then sometimes he'll just moan and groan the whole time he's doing it- making all of us miserable with him, isn't worth it. Other times, it's something he can't do without the help from someone more knowledgeable or a job that needs two man hands. That's one of the many times I hate being so far from family. While other times I just feel bad that he's gone 75% of his day and on the weekends he just wants to relax with Lauren and I and to be quiet honest, I want to just relax with him too. I feel like lately he says "When is there going to be a weekend when we just don't have anything to do" and I want to say "Never!" while I'm really thinking in my head- you just wait, when this wee little one comes out we'll have plenty of weekends where nothing but survival will be on our "To Do" list. There always seems to be something though- so I guess that's often why I procrastinate the little jobs. And it's also why I'm grateful when the right motivation comes around to get them done!

So today I'm grateful for family that motivates and helps us keep this house from falling into shambles. Amen for getting the little jobs done!

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" Galatians 6:9


No comments:

Post a Comment