....................................................

....................................................

Friday, May 10, 2013

Cloth Diapering 102

So we're finally able to start cloth diapering with Olivia. She had this horrid diaper rash since she was just a few weeks old. Her poor bum was just red and raw. I took her to the doctors three different times trying to figure out what was going on. First they thought it might be a fungal infection, so we got one cream. Then they thought it was a bacterial infection, so we got another cream.Then we were told it was just a really bad case of diaper rash. We were instructed to keep up with the anti-bacterial cream and then top it off with Aquaphor. We did this for over a month with no end in sight. At her 3 month appointment the doctor suggested we just put straight Aquaphor on it and see if that works. And BAM!, it did. I think there was more to it though.

So on top of her nasty diaper rash, she was also spitting up cottage cheese all the time and I noticed if I ate or drank anything with lots of milk it was extra bad. On days I wouldn't drink milk or eat anything, like Alfrado sauce, that the spitting up would decrease exponentially. Even the cheese on our ritual Friday night pizza would cause it, as well as the buttermilk in Saturday mornings pancakes. I have since pretty much eliminated almost all milk products from my diet. Yes, she still spits up but not funky cottage cheese. I even noticed that if I tried to sneak in some milk product here and there, like a little sherbet, that she would then buck like a bronco during nursing a day or two later because her little tummy was bothering her. I still put a slice of cheese on my sandwiches, but that's about it. I sure do miss my dairy but Olivia is well worth the sacrifice!! When I talked to her doctor she said that she wouldn't say she's allergic since there is not blood in her stool but she's intolerant. It might be her under developed digestive system too, so she suggests I try milk again in a while once she's a little older.

Now, for the kicker. I started noticing the direct connection between her diaper rash and diary too! We finally got her bum all cleared up and I ate some pizza and BAM, it was back. I was amazed and felt awful all at the same time. Since I've pretty much cut diary out completely her bum has been 100% A-Okay. So now that that's all set we have busted out our FuzziBunz stash. 

The extra time getting around to using them gave me time to readjust them all. With Lauren I adjusted them as I got them, so it wasn't as big of a task. But now I have Lauren to help as she got in on the fun and helped me organize them. It's so cute how small they get. We use the FuzziBunz, One Size diapers. They are great. I started using them with Lauren when she was seven months old. I didn't start using them until I started staying home. They have paid for themselves ten fold already so now every time I use them I feel like I'm making money- weird but if you think about it, it's so true. Just one more thing I do to help us out in the money department.

Olivia hasn't had any issues with them. In fact, I was noticing that with the disposables she had been having regular blow outs, but not with the cloth diapers. The blow outs are most likely due to the fact that she's ready for the next size up- I hate that about disposables. We buy them in bulk since they're so much cheaper that way but then before we know it she's grown out of them and they're not all used up. Guess I'll save them for the next baby. I still have some size threes left over from Lauren. I plan on using them when we head out for vacations this summer. That is where I cheat on my wonderful cloth diapers. I feel like I get a vacation from the extra load of laundry and all that goes with it, plus I'm very reluctant to wash them some place where they might get ruined by hard water or drying in a dryer that might ruin them. I'm sure I'm just being OCD but it's just much easier for me all the same. 

I've even turned Esther into a believer in cloth diapering. She has purchased a small stash off eBay. I was telling her they have great resale value when she brought them up to me one Wednesday, ensuring her that if she didn't like them she could just sell them and not lose all of her investment. She went online to check it out and decided to get them used instead of new and saved like two dollars a diaper- go her. She uses them on her two and a half year old at night- since she hasn't quite gotten the hang of potty training at night. She loves them. Her hubby was reluctant to using them on the new baby (just a month away until we get to meet him!) when she brought up the idea to him so she was hoping that if she used them on Caitlyn at night that he would see how awesome they are. I need to check with her on how that is going. 

The pocket diaper system really works for us and I'm loving that I get to use them again. Lauren is having fun picking out which color Olivia should wear when I change her. The silly girl is also very interested in the dirty ones in the hanging diaper pal. That is one thing I've asked Matt for this time round, is another hanging diaper bag and another wet/dry to go bag. I wished I had two travel wet/dry bags with Lauren so if I went out two days in a row I didn't have to us a plastic bag. At first he was hesitant (as with most things I bring up- I love my man, he keeps me in check) but then he agreed having two would come in handy. I'm still wondering if two of the hanging diaper bags is necessary or not. We'll see. 


For now I'm just excited to cut the budget one diaper at a time!!!!!! (I'm such a dork and I know it)




No comments:

Post a Comment