....................................................

....................................................

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Running and Praying

Two topics I have had on my heart to write about so here I go...

First praying. As a young mom I have been feeling like my "Jesus Well" is running a bit dry these days. It's hard to fit everything in everyday. There are some days I seem to have more time and others I feel like each moment is filled with something or another. I wish I could say that each day is filled with a devotional that helps to fill up my soul. I'm thinking that my 'old' way of doing things is not working for my 'new' way of life. When it was just Lauren I could rely on a few moments of guaranteed down time each day, and now I can't. Lauren still naps well and so does Olivia, but some days it just doesn't always work out. Like today. Right now everyone is down for a nap (including Brooke who is here today) but in just a few minutes I'll be getting Olivia up to nurse and then before I know it I'll be doing the dinner thing, and everyone will be up. So God has lead me to this wonderful website/ministry Proverbs 31 Ministries. Their website is even linked to Facebook, so I'm able to catch new articles and such on there as well. I'm hoping these short devotionals will bring me back to where I need to be each day, grounded in God's word. I also read a wonderful blog that reminded me that God is with us and waiting to talk to us at any moment we have to give to him. Even if that moment is while I'm folding laundry or in the shower. My devotional doesn't have to be sitting down with my book and highlighter. It can be me writing on here, reflecting on God in my life. I'm so grateful for a God who's available 24/7, 365! Amen!!

Today's article on the Proverbs 31 website  reminded me of my crazy episode last week. I was feeling very overwhelmed and very alone. We're working on learning the "Love Languages"  with the youth on Thursday nights. Well I learned my top love language is 'Quality Time.' I realized that my QT with Matt these days seems to be out the window. Hense, causing me to feel very alone. I was so frustrated one day that I just blow a gasket. I called my sister and just vented and if that wasn't enough I called Matt at work at vented to him (what a wonderful husband he is to take a moment to calm his crazy wife). I know part of it is having such high expectations for myself each day and the other part of it was missing my hubby. He's my other half, and when I don't feel connected to him I'm just off. There were too many nights of me not being home or when I was home everything was just chaotic; You other young moms know what I mean.  We need a date night, but life has been busy and babysitters are expensive. So we've worked it out. Matt has been working his hardest to get Lauren in bed by 8:30 so we have a solid hour each night that is just us before we wake Olivia to nurse one more time and then off to bed. The article used a wonderful verse that really spoke to my heart and how I've been feeling. Philippians 1:27a reminds me that I'm working for God so my actions, words, tone of voice, and attitude need to reflect that. Even when things are crazy- put it all into perspective. I mean, honestly I want crazy. I want two little kids, one on my hip the other on my leg. These girls are my world! With that said, it can be a very tiring job sometimes and when I get that way I need to remember God's gifts and promises and put it all back into perspective. 

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." Philippians 1:27a

Now, onto running- which oddly enough links right up to what I've been already talking about. I've been trying to do good with working out and running. I've only missed one Zumba class (the evening of the blown gasket I just stayed home and napped off my stress) in the past two months. I've really enjoyed the hour of fun and dance and my clothes are fitting much nicer these days. This past birthday I was blessed to get an awesome running watch (everyone pooled together in order for me to get it- how awesome is my family). In case you're wondering it is Garmin Forerunner 110. It has really helped me with running. I'm a very goal orientated person so it's really great to watch the miles fly by as I run. Okay...slowly go by...more of a jog than a run. Either way it also allows me to upload my run and keep track of how I'm doing. Which is inspiring too. 

I know I've written in the past about how I often use my jogging time to 'talk' with God and just recently I read about how God created our bodies as temples and we're to care for it as such. And how exercise is a way to glorify God because we're caring for the body He blessed us with- the one he "knit together in our mother's womb." I'm trying to remind myself that as I'm working out I'm worshiping God. Making sure I give back the glory to Him and how He's working through my exercise.

It's easier said then done. Who doesn't want to take credit for things we've done, and I'm not just talking exercise here. But that's not how it works. I'm blessed to have two working legs and a strong heart. These are things God gave me and my healthy body is a blessing from Him who created me. So when I am sluggish to get my butt off the couch or out the door I remind myself that this is a blessing to God, me caring for my body. It's also two fold- caring for myself allows me to be a better me for my husband and children. An hour of sweating off the days stress helps keep me whole for them, so I can serve them in the way that shows them Jesus' love through my actions, words, tone of voice, and attitude. 

I pray daily that all I do and say gives the glory back to the God that made me. I pray that each workout allows me to do this as well.

"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." Revelation 4:11

No comments:

Post a Comment