....................................................

....................................................

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Baptisms Part 2

I'm sad to say that I went to post Olivia's baptism pictures and thought I'd look and see what I did/said about Lauren's baptism only to realize I never posted about her special day. Back then I was working full time, every moment of time I had at home I was soaking up Lauren's cuteness and sleeping when possible. There is a big gap in my blog posts from back then. When I see things like that I just stop and say a prayer of thanksgiving that I'm able to be home now. In fact, when Olivia reached 11 weeks, I reminded Matt that this was when I headed back to work with Lauren and I just told him how much I love him for working so hard for our family so I can be home. I never want to take for granted how lucky I am to do this and what a wonderful feeling it is to know that I don't have to miss out on four months of Olivia, like I did Lauren (just so you know Lauren did just fine, but that it was me that struggled during those months I was working). So I decided to do a two part post sharing what it meant to me as we baptized both girls.

So,back to Baptisms. In my Part 1 post, I just had pictures and the lovely song that was played at both girls baptisms. I had never heard the song before my wonderful mother-in-law gave me the sheet music when Lauren was ity-bity. The hymnal "Borning Cry" was a perfect fit for the service. I cried both times when the song was being played. We were very blessed to have a wonderful friend play the harp and sing the song for us with her beautiful voice. Kristen was such a blessing to us. I wonder if Matt can make a short video of just her playing the song.


It was important for me to have both girls baptized as soon as possible. I wanted to do it for many reasons. First, I wanted to praise God for the blessings he gave us. I know any baby being born whole and healthy is miraculous but there isn't a part of me that doesn't believe "The Spirit of God has made [them]; the breath of the Almighty give [them] life" Job 33:4 God made my babies special for Matt and I. They are gifts of God. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the day ordained for me were written  in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16 He knows them better and more intimately than I could ever imagine. I wanted to give them back to our Creator, our Heavenly Father. Because to Him all the praise is due.

Secondly, I wanted to establish their faith from birth. I want them to know Jesus and all he has done for us. I want their mustard seed of faith to be planted early in life. God tells us "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 I hope that Jesus' love takes root early so they can always know His love and grace. That this love and grace be a guide as to how they should live their lives, in a way that gives glory to God. I want them to have the courage God gave them to live their lives and fulfill their purpose. "I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:18 And if they know God is within them, their dreams can be fulfilled. Whatever dreams they may be.

Thirdly, I wholly believe that children are not just raised by their parents either, because it sure does take a village! In the United Methodist faith when a baby is baptized part of the tradition is to ask the fellow members of the congregation to help them grow in their faith. I can't tell you how many wonderful people prayed for my girls, from before they were even conceived. I wanted their baptisms to be a praise to God in showing these wonderful people an answer to prayer and what God's love can do. My girls are so spoiled with love from our church family and I feel blessed and loved by them in so many ways.

Lastly, even though we live far from family, we were able to share this special moment with them. My mom and step-dad were able to make it down for Lauren's baptism and then Matt's parents made it down for Olivia's. My mom is such a huge part of my faith walk, since it was with her guidance that I came to the Lord back in my high school years. I know that Matt has shared with me that his mom was a large part of his faith walk as well. It meant so much to me that both mom's could be there to witness their grand babies be given back to God. It pains me to know that because our journey has taken us so far from home that they miss a lot. It's good to look back and know that our family was able to be there to share such a wonderful moment, the moment when God's Holy Spirit was given to them. The Spirit that will guide them through the ups and downs of life. The Spirit that will never leave them. "Jesus said, 'My Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life..." John 6:40

May our girls forever be looking up and giving their hearts back to the one who created them!


"Give thanks to the God of heaven.
                    His love endures forever." Psalm 136:26

No comments:

Post a Comment