....................................................

....................................................

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Is it really July?!

Well June is out the door and in swings July, a H.O.T. July. So summer is in full swing. We just got back from a wonderful trip back home. This annual trip for us was very eventful and utterly exhausting. Eventful because we enjoyed boat trips, visits with friends, a funeral, visits with family, and more. Exhausting because Matt and I find ourselves joyfully expecting yet again!!!! And when I'm pregnant all I want is sleep, sleep, sleep. So as relaxing as the trip was, at some points, my body craved sleep. But there will be more about this in a later post. This post is all about our faithful trip.


Our trip started at our home with a visit from my mom. She flew in and enjoyed a short time here at our place. We played, went to our local amusement park to enjoy the park and a rockin' Christian concert, and just had fun visiting. At the end of the visit we had the pleasure of her riding with us back "home." It's funny that even though I've lived where I am for the last eight years- I still refer to where I grew up as home too. Anyway, the trip took a "few" hours longer than normal- I did mention my mom was with us right?!?...all in all it was a nice time.


Me, Lauren, and Grandma P about to ride the carousel. 


Once "home" we stayed with my dad first. Matt wasn't with us yet, still working, hence my mom riding with Lauren and I. There we got to enjoy a few boat rides, my fondest childhood memories are associated with boating. I feel lucky that even though it is just a few times a year that I get the joy of being on the open water, I still get to go out. As I was riding there, with Lauren in my lap, I was looking out into the open water- I was reminiscing of why I love the boat so much. Is it the water, the wind, the smell of the air, the noise of the motor, the view of endless water, the joy of relaxing your body and flowing with the motion of the boat, or the fact that your "free to move about the cabin" (unlike a car where you're belted in) that really does it for me? Then I realized it was the whole kitten kabutal (sp?- I hope you can figure out what I'm saying and you're not laughing too hard). I just love it all. The best was sitting there sharing it with Lauren. I know that she won't have the same childhood as me, growing up boating every summer, all summer long. But I'm glad my dad still owns a boat and she's able to get a glimpse into my cherished childhood memories.


Lauren enjoying the boat trip (even though she had to wear that uncomfortable life-vest. 
While at my dads we also enjoyed a visit from my sister and nephew. They were suppose to come up for a day and stay over night, leaving after we visited our grandmother the following day. However, plans changed when my great grandmother passed. She was 99.5 years old and it was her time. I was happy to know that she is  in a better place- a place with God holding her hand. The up side is that I got to see them longer. We enjoyed some sister time together, although it's hard since we were at my dads and not either of our houses. We also had a few sister moments too...some things you never grow out of.


Playing with cousin Finn!
Matt arrived, via a plane, on Tuesday night. I'd never been so happy to see him. That single parent thing is just too hard. Especially when you're trying to be "hands off" so the grandparents can enjoy Lauren. Not mommy micro-managed Lauren. That wording makes it sound bad, but honestly most grandparents would have time alone with their grand-kids. Not having mommy standing by telling them what to do with her, what she likes, and telling her what to do. It was hard for me- oh very hard. Watching her act a crazy when you know if she was with  you she wouldn't even attempt that behavior (since just a few months ago she did and I took the time to work with her so she wouldn't continue those ways). But grandparents are suppose to spoil the kids. They'll suppose to let the rules out and treat them differently then you do. It was just hard sometimes to be there and witness it. Other times I was grateful for a chance to nap or read my book and then I seem to rolled with it a lot better. All I know is that I didn't have my grandparents (only 2 of the 4 were alive when I was born) around for very long. I want Lauren to know and love her grandparents (lucky girl has 6) and her time with them- not them with mommy in control. 


Lauren and Daddy enjoying some nap time together (the girl was so tired from all the fun she had, she fell asleep four hours before nap on my lap- I transferred her to daddy, who was also interested in napping)
We enjoyed a visit with out wonderful friends Phil and Melissa. Although the 4th of July was hot, hot, hot. We spent time at the park having a picnic. Lauren loved collecting rocks, eating Phil's pirate booty, trying out everyone's chairs, and just being her silly self. Matt parents came and picked her up early, heaven sent- makes me wish even more that they lived closer/we lived closer. Then we chilled and played games, talked, and tried to keep cool. I also got to see my great friend Jamie with Melissa earlier in the week. Two great college roomies that I still enjoy. Wish we lived closer to them too.


Lauren at the picnic
All in all it was a wonderful trip. I'm glad that Lauren got to enjoy her grandparents and I got to see everyone too. Although I wonder about making the trip next year, I told Matt since we'll have two kids the only way I'm doing it is if he comes for the whole time. We'll have to see how it all works out and just enjoy the memories we have from this year. 


"The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble." Proverbs 19:23

No comments:

Post a Comment