....................................................

....................................................

Friday, December 23, 2011

Exercise and Jesus

During one of my bible study conversations with Shauna, I made an analogy that I thought I would share. I compared exercise and bible study. 


We all know exercise is good for us. I know that I enjoy exercising for all the great benefits that exercise gives you: more energy, happy disposition, healthy body, etc. And even though I enjoy Zumba, running, and working out- I still struggle daily to do it. I struggle with having enough time or feeling 'in the mood'. Sometimes I feel guilty because when I go to the gym I'm not here to put Lauren down. I come up with excuses why I can't slap on a pair of sneaker and jog around the block for a half hour and why? I enjoy the activity and I know it's good for me yet my mind fights it. I don't make excuses to myself when it comes to watching a TV program. I don't say "oh it'll be okay to not watch this one episode- I'll still be able to figure out what's going on next time." Why is that? Why do we fight what we know is good for us? 


The same goes with working out our spiritual selves. We act the same way as with exercise. We come up with excuses why skipping our daily prayer time or our devotional for just one day won't hurt anyone. Again, bible study is something I enjoy. I feel healthier mental and I feel ready to face the day with my Jesus boots on. Ready to kick butt with whatever comes my way, knowing that Jesus is front and center. Yet how often I think- "Oh I could really use her morning nap time to get X, Y, or Z done" "Missing one day won't hurt" But it does hurt. It lets our Jesus battery run low and once that happens we get a little snippier or we're quick to judge -pointing out the speck in someone else's eye, and forgetting to notice the plank in ours (Luke 6:37-42).


I pray right now that I don't let these things fall to the wayside. That I continually exercise my body and spirit daily. That I look to God daily to remind me of how good it feels to be so close to Him. I also pray that although it is easier to be sinful and give in to my selfish desires that I fight not to. I ask God for the strength to live my life as He envisions it. I'm so grateful to have a God so mighty and powerful that with Him by my side I can do anything. Amen.


"Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven-- for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." Luke 7:47

No comments:

Post a Comment