....................................................

....................................................

Monday, October 24, 2011

Ripping off a Band-Aid

Tonight I was faced with how I deal with change. How I deal with good-byes. And I'm realizing that after a life time of change and good-byes (or what can sometimes feel like a life time) that I like to "Rip the Band-Aid" right off.

I've gone through a lot of transition over the years. In my adult life I can think of a handful of changes, which includes, but is not limited to: going to college, transferring colleges, breaking up with long term boyfriends, moving from one parents house to the other and back again, moving four states away from home, getting a job, getting married, changing jobs, moving into my first house, changing a job location, losing two pregnancies, changing job locations again, having a baby, leaving my job...just to name a few. And tonight, I just added another.

Tonight I went to a meeting that discussed my youth pastor's transition to leave our church. I have been working with him and the youth at my church for the past two years and have grown so much in my faith because of this ministry. So, the thought of him leaving is yet another transition I will have deal with.

So...what have I learned from all the transition listed above? Well- that good-bye is only as hard as you make it. That we can't truly rely on this world and what it has in it. We can trust what God has blessed us with in that moment- so that is where we need to live- relatively speaking.

Sometimes I feel like I've become hardened and other times I think I've become wise- lol. I find that when I go home for a visit, if I'm just focused on the fact that I'm going to have to leave then I just get sad. I don't want to be sad when I'm home, I want to enjoy the time I have with my family to the fullest. I want to know that the moments I have with them are making memories that I will enjoy reminiscing about. When it's time to go, that's when I cry. In the moment when I have to leave and the band-aid is being ripped of, that's when I cry. Otherwise- I would have memories filled with tears instead of smiles. I would have memories filled with sadness instead of joy.

So tonight I'm going to focus on the special times to come, before Jason leaves. I'm going to remind myself to live in each moment, which God has blessed me with. I'm going to make memories that I will look back on and smile. I'm going to keep in prayer for what God has planned for me. I'm going to be thankful that He placed Jason in my life when he did, because if there is one thing I know for sure- is that Jason is one of God's angels and I'm lucky enough to have any time with him, even if it feels like it wasn't enough.

PS. The Bible/God back up my "wise" thoughts, read on...

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

"As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower in the field." Psalm 103:15

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment