....................................................

....................................................

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day One

Today is the first day alone with my sweet girls. I've been blessed to have my MIL here since we came home from the hospital. She arrived the day Olivia was born, in the late evening. She picked up Lauren the next morning from Esther's house and then came to visit us at the hospital with Lauren. She then bunked in for the next seven days. She was so wonderful helping with meals and the girls. Helping us in so many ways. It was hard to see her leave yesterday but knowing we'll see her again soon helped- either in April or May. 

So today I've given myself a gold star!! Here is why... We got up around 8. I got Olivia up and undressed. She takes a few minutes to wake up from her slumber, so while she was busy waking up I got Lauren up and brought her to our room with about every lovey she had in her bed to join us downstairs. I changed Olivia, nursed her, and then got Lauren on the potty. Matt still needed to eat, so he got Lauren and him eating breakfast while I took care of myself for a minute. After eating and a few temper tantrums (yes we've had a handful of them during the transition from only child to big sisterhood) daddy was off to work. I cleaned up the kitchen and we all made our way upstairs. I got Lauren dressed and did her hair and then Lauren helped picked out Olivia's outfit and we got her changed for the day. Olivia, being a rock star sleeper, passed back out and Lauren and I played as I chatted with my mom and my sister on the phone. These conversations,  although usually a riot, can be very chaotic, as all three of us try and talk about what's going on in our lives. I learned my mom is putting down her cat Isiah today. I'm sad, but happy. He's sick with kidney issues and he will be a happier cat in kitty heaven and he's lived a great life, with a wonderful home since he was a teeny, tiny kitten. I also learned my sister and her family have adopted a dog today! A sweet five year old boarder collie mix from their local rescue shelter. It was great chatting with them since our conversations lately have been short and sweet. My mom will be joining us Friday to help us out and meet Olivia Jean- although I know my mom will add to the crazy, I'm looking forward to seeing her and having time with her. I think it's been since Lauren was born that she has been able to come down just her. My mom and I do best when it's just us visiting- no one to add to our craziness- we seem to make enough without any help. I'm looking forward to some hugs from my mommy as well!

So back to my day...and that gold star. So while Olivia slept the morning away, Lauren and I played and carried on as normal. It was nice to have her all to myself again. It made me realize how much I had missed it being just us two (plus our sleeping beauty now). After the few tantrums at breakfast this morning things settled down to normal, Amen, and it felt like it did just a few weeks before, which was a good feeling for both of us to have I'm sure.

Before we knew it, it was time to wake up Olivia to nurse. Lauren played in the nursery as I feed Olivia. It was too precious. There have been a handful of moments all day that I just was taken back by how wonderful my big girl is! After Olivia was done, I hoped in the shower. Olivia chilled (aka slept) in the bouncy chair and Lauren read her "Hello Kitty" books on the stool in the bathroom with me. I have a whole audience now while I wash myself- oh the joys of being a mom. I was excited to put on my first pair of non-maternity pants on today. They are by no means my skinny jeans, but they fit nicely and I don't have to hike them up every time I change position, woohoo!

After my shower was lunch. Olivia, again sleeping like a champ, chilled while Lauren and I enjoyed some lunch. Another sweet moment came during lunch. Olivia made some gurgling noises and Lauren said "Libia okay?" and showed concern for her- I told her Olivia was just fine and asked if she wanted me to turn her so she could watch her- Lauren said yes. My mama heart leaped with love! 

I was able to check my email and facebook while Lauren spent sometime on the potty. Then we headed upstairs to play "food" and we took a moment to call daddy. After playing for an hour it was time to nurse Olivia again. This time Lauren sat in her purple reading chair and read books while I nursed. Then it was time to get Lauren ready for nap. I laid Olivia in her crib and Lauren and I shared our special pre-nap time together. Another thing I deeply missed this past week. On one hand I'm grateful for someone else taking on these daily tasks with Lauren so I could bond and have alone time with Olivia, and on the other hand I'd deeply missed my one on one time with Lauren. I guess it's just going to take me some time to get use to being a mommy of two, and having to learn to give and take with each child.

After Lauren was in her bed, snug as a bug, Olivia and I headed down stairs. She was actually having an awake moment so we just laid together on my bed and chatted. I so cherish those moments. She's such a sleepy head, just like Lauren was, and when she is awake and alert, I can't get enough!  But it wasn't long before she passed out on me and so I decided I had better write this post, because Lord knows I won't have the energy later.

So here it is 4:10 and I've got an hour and a half before Matt gets home. Both girls sleeping and I've had time to talk to Esther and get this post complete. I'm looking forward to our evening together as a family of four. Last night was so much fun dressing the girls for bed together. As I was dressing them I realized they had matching onesies- so I put them both in their pink "Faded Glory" onesie and we took some pictures. Here are few...






...it makes me smile just looking at them. Tonight, we will attempt two baths. I'll be attending to Olivia's sponge bath downstairs as Matt gets to wrangle Lauren in the tub upstairs. I look forward to having Olivia's "stump" fall off so we can give her a normal bath- with Lauren? Well have to see how that works. Just one of the many bonding moments these girls will enjoy together.

Oh how I pray they enjoy each other and grow up knowing how lucky they are to have each other. There is a special bond between two sisters that I know I've enjoyed all my life (well "occasionally" my sister and I didn't get along...lol...okay mostly we drove each other nuts, but I wouldn't trade her in for the world). May God help them to enjoy each other and lean on each other for their whole lives. I'm not rushing things but I do enjoy that they will share a bedroom someday and so many memories together. Oh, I better end this now... 

"Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23:6


No comments:

Post a Comment