....................................................

....................................................

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Come Comic Relief

When I think of my day, laughing is the only way I made it through- that and faith that every day won't be as "eventful." (I girl can hope!)

So we headed back to the doctors this morning, and might I add I headed there with both girls...all...by...my...self! Poor Olivia is still having diaper issues. Although it got better, the worst of it is still hanging on. I called the doctors yesterday and they said to bring her in. So I successfully got out of the house at 9:50 am (my loving husband helped me by dressing Olivia and feeding Lauren breakfast- I thank God daily He blessed me with such a wonderful life partner). We made a quick stop at the camera store two minutes from the doctors office and picked up Olivia's newborn prints- oh my she's a cutie. I left there with a smile of success on my face and headed to the doctors. We got there on time and Lauren did a great job while we waited 20+ minutes to head into the back. Once there my smile slowly turned into deep breaths. 

I packed Lauren a small bag of things to entertain her, which she could have cared less about. She was more interested in the stool, which she proceed to fall off of (amen, I was right next to her) this fall frustrated her, causing her to then throw herself on the floor and thrash about in frustration. She calmed but not enough before the NP finally came into the room. The nurse started talking even though it was obvious that I was still trying to calm Lauren, which only caused her to continue the frustrated behavior longer. I'm trying my best to give Lauren the attention she needed and "listening" to the nurse and answer her questions. Finally the nurse started examining Olivia allowing me to pay full attention to Lauren, which was all she needed and she was calmed. So I took a deep breath but then the nurse started right up again over top of my crying baby- who needed her diaper changed again, since she proceeded to poop and pee while the lady was examining her and I couldn't follow what she was saying because this is what she was saying...

"I'm going to give you another cream. This cream needs to be applied at least four times a day. Continue using the cream you already have, which needs to be applied three times a day. You can rotate back and forth between the creams at each diaper change. Then you should really add another cream on top of them to created a better barrier between the pee/poop and her effected areas. I would suggest not using any of the white diaper creams (this statement took me at least three/four attempts to understand what on earth she was speaking about- since she kept using the technical names for all these freakin' creams), but use Aquaphor cream. It's great cream you can use on anything. This will come off easy so you don't have to scrub her bottom so hard, causing more irritation, at each diaper change."

HOLY FRAPPIN' GOODNESS here people. She did not say it as organized as that, since I had to ask her multiple times to restate the words that were coming from her mouth, that mind you I couldn't make sense of since she was using the technical names for each cream. This whole time Lauren was proceeding to take every item out of the diaper bag- thankful I ignored the nurse to ask her calmly to stop and redirected her before things got too messy. This might have caused me to ask the nurse to restate whatever she continued to say while I was redirecting Lauren. Mind you this whole time Olivia is crying her head off since she was cold, needed to be changed and hungry. 

This nurse was nice, but get a clue lady! I mean I'm obviously a new mom of two trying to find the ropes on how to pay attention to my crying baby, my active toddler, and the other adult in the room...those men on the floor of wall street have it easy compared to this. If she had just stopped talking while I was trying to attend to Lauren the whole appointment might not of felt as chaotic and crazy as it was.

By the time I finally had a grip on what she was telling me, I still needed to rediaper and redress Olivia, and get Lauren and myself ready before we could leave- not forgetting to stop and get sticker for Lauren (which of course someone was right behind us making this small task feel like a ropes course). By the time I got everyone and everything back into the car another LONG, DEEP breath was needed. 

Once that breath was out I realized I was going to need to go pick up the prescription still, and I wasn't going to be able to use the drive-thru since I had to get this new Aquaphor cream too. I did try and call the pharmacy and see if they would get the over the counter cream for me, but no such luck. A+ for trying that though. 

We did make our way back home first to nurse Olivia and have some lunch. Lord knows we wouldn't have done well at the store if we were all hungry.

So we all ate and get all packed into the car again. "This shouldn't be too hard" I told myself...lol. Well since Lauren feel asleep in the car for five seconds yesterday on our way home from Esther's house she never napped at home. This caused her to be tired earlier than usually and therefor falling asleep in the car today at only 12:30 (her usually nap time is 2:15-2:30). I called Matt and said guess what just made this day even more adventurous, that's right yet another day with no nap in her bed!

Thankfully there was another small errand I had to run that could be done with two sleeping children. So I drove there first and then headed to the pharmacy after. So she got about a 45 minute nap in the car. Better than the day before. 

The pharmacy wasn't too bad, even though it took longer than usually since we had a problem with cream #1- they didn't have the full amount the script was for when I came last time, so this time I needed to pick up the rest and there was a different pharmacist there- always an adventure these day.

We got home and I went straight to the pan of brownies sitting on the counter- oh they made it all better and gave me a little energy boost. Thankfully I have a wonderful daughter who allowed me to lay on the floor as we played the later half of the afternoon away. I'm extra grateful that dinner was being brought to us thanks to the wonderful church family we have and I didn't have to think about that.

After dinner Matt graciously gave me a full half hour in the bedroom with the door closed and he took both girls. That's how I've had time to write down these wonderful adventures and regain some of my sanity. 

I'm glad I have a sense of humor otherwise I don't think I would have made it out the doctors alive. I look back and laugh now...oh the fun...oh the joy of it all!

Tonight I give thanks for survival and deep breaths...and we're off to Olivia's ear doctor appointment tomorrow morning (Thank God, daddy will be coming with us to that one!)

"Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

And now let the weak say "I am strong"
Let the poor say "I am rich"
Be of what the Lord has done for us"
~Don Moen - Give Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment