....................................................

....................................................

Monday, October 1, 2012

Bombs Away!!!!!

Holy heavens I feel like a bomb has hit the house. We have started the big "move" or better stated, the big rearrangement of the rooms to accommodate our growing family. We are only in phase one of my strategic plan (see below). There is a lot to do and I want to do it all right now. I need a Bewitched nose to wiggle so it will all be done with minimal disruption to my daily life (lol, a girl can dream can't she).

Phase One:  - Empty guest/playroom and closet - moving everything upstairs.
                  - Prep room to be painted
                  - Purchase paint and paint room
                  - Reorganize closet in office to accommodate more stuff (this 
                    should be fun...)

Phase Two: - Move our bedroom furniture downstairs and set up room
                 - Decorate our new master bedroom
                 - Redesign, purchase, and install closet organization for this room 

Phase Three: - Reorganize upstairs closets- we have three and they will all be        
                     changing!
                   - Purchase two new dressers, a nightstand and two twin beds for 
                     Lauren's new room
                   - Reorganize Lauren's stuff into new room
                   - Purchase bedding for new beds
                   - Purchase and hang new blinds for this room (curtains too, but no 
                     rush on those)
     
Phase Four: - Decorate Lauren's new room
                  - Wash, fluff, and spruce up nursery for new baby
                  - Redecorate upstairs bathroom into a kids bathroom

It feels good to write down the plan, before today it's just been in my head. So much has to happen to prepare the "house" for our new little ones arrival. With Lauren I felt like I was just dealing with one sweet little room and feeling a bit overwhelmed. This feels like we're moving half the house around, I guess because we are. It's better than the process of moving a whole house- so I try and remember that when I'm making trip five hundred four up the stairs with stuff. 

Some of the stuff I've started even though it comes in later phases. Like I've found the perfect shower curtain, waited for it to go on sale and had a coupon too. It's covered in crazy, loopy fish so I know it will be loved by Lauren. I'm glad that didn't take too long because I'm not painting any of the room upstairs. The bigger room, what is now our master bedroom, is painted in a neutral cream and brown. I plan on decorating it with purple and brown, with a splash of pink, blue and green. I asked Lauren what color she wanted and she said purple. This surprised me since she usually pipes up with blue anytime you ask her a color question. 

I've found some cute comforters but I'm waiting. The act of God came down from heaven to hopefully finalize my bedding plan for Lauren's room. First I was going to buy another crib because I just couldn't see my "baby" in a big girl bed and I didn't want to push her out. Then after talking with some friends who have kids a little older than Lauren, I decided a toddler bed would be good. My mom got one for free, we would just have to buy a mattress for it. This would have the room adorned with a queen guest bed and a toddler bed. The more I thought about that, it just wouldn't feel like her room if we had a guest bed in there. But Matt was telling me we already had the guest bed and the toddler bed was free so why do anything else. You know how it is when you're unsettled about a decision- you keep fretting about it, or at least I do. So then I asked if we could sell our guest bed and then purchase two twin beds. Matt thought this would be ridiculous to waste the money on all of that. So this is where the hand of God comes in. My sister just purchased a house (yippy Shauna). She had mentioned to my step-mom that she would be interested in a guest bed. Then I called my step-mom wondering how I would sell our guest bed (not knowing about Shauna's desires). She mentions that I should sell it to her for Shauna and then she would buy us a twin bed. Then I said- how about we give you the queen bed for Shauna and you buy us two twin beds, and I would then not use the toddler bed at all (my mom got it for free, so no loss to her, and Shauna might even want it for Finn soon). She liked the plan, Shauna liked the plan, and I like the plan- heck even Matt okayed this plan. The only thing I'm waiting on is to hear if my dad will go for the plan because it requires him to drive the truck down here and that is extra gas money. But I'm pretty sure my step-mom will persuade him that this is the best plan ever!!!

Until I know for sure that we're getting two twins I'm not spending any money on bedding. But I was talking to Lauren this morning right after she woke up and we were hanging on mommy and daddy's bed, and I asked her if she wanted a big girl bed like mommy and daddy. She said yes. I told her she would be sleeping in that room in a big girl bed and this seemed to delight her. I'm excited to know that she is definitely ready for the transition- I think it will go smoothly. 

My timeline for the four phases is to be done with everything by the end of January. I think that is pretty realistic. Most of the stuff requires just my time and effort. The painting has to happen on the weekend since I'll need Matt to have Lauren out from under foot. But the prep I plan on doing during the week. I have to have it painted and ready for our furniture before my in-laws come to town in two weeks. That way they can help Matt move all the furniture- since I'm no help in that department. 

My dad and step-mom are coming at Christmas time so that's when we'll be doing the bed swoop and my dad is going to help us with the closet in our new room. It's not small, but it's by no means big and we have to fit both Matt's and my clothes in there. I know with the right design we'll make it all fit.

Once I know for sure what the bedding will be for Lauren's room I'm going to have my good friend Heather, the one who painted the mural in the nursery, paint coordinating painting on canvas to be hung in Lauren's new room. My friend Esther is helping me by making me a new duvet cover for our new room and I'm hoping my mother-in-law will help us with new valences. 

Just lots of small pieces that once there done it will look great, but as for the mean time...not so pretty!

"Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment