....................................................

....................................................

Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Book, A Story, Some Photos, And An Olympic Dream

So what's kept me from posting in like FOREVER!!??!! Well as the title tells you, I'm sucked into a really good book right now that I have a hard time putting down (The Eleventh Hour: The Secret of the Rose By Michael Phillips). Even writing this makes me want to curl up on the couch with a blanket and the book. But I've told myself after a week of possible posts popping up in my head that if both girls fell asleep today that I would get on here. I so desperately needed to finish the previous post (note that Olivia turned one about a month ago and I just finished the post and published it) and get some of the crazy out of my head and onto here.

Also, although we've had about three or four "Wednesday Nights" at church cancelled due to the very snowy winter this year I've been keeping up with The Story too. My eyes have been opened so much through this study. Whether I've been leading the Sunday School class, Wednesday night study with the youth, or just enjoying the Pastor's sermons on Sunday it has been really neat to watch how God's story, when read in such a way, really helps us to see His plan, His will, His desire for us, His people. I have a hard time putting this book down too. But I'm having to make myself so I don't get so far ahead that I'm not inline with all the studies and getting things mixed and mingled (as happens in my brain often).

Oh and I FINALLY got Olivia's first photo book done. The poor girl was one and she still didn't have a photo book of her own. So I was working on that and can say I have the first of four done (doesn't sound like much when I put it that way). But I'm going to get right one the second one soon (leaving again less time to blog) since I have a coupon for a free one that expires in March- sometimes the right incentive is all a girl needs. Oh but doing the book brought me back to those first three months! It's so funny how when you're not sleep deprived and nursing, what feels like 24/7, how wonderful those first three months seems. When they're so tiny and you could just hold them all day long (in the fantasyland in which I live you can do this- even with your second). In some ways it feels like it was just yesterday and in others ways I have a hard time remembering any of it- it just goes by too quick.

Then there is these gosh darn Olympic games that keep me up late and glued to the TV when I can. I'm just addicted to watching it all. I've enjoyed the new sports they've added and I love learning all about the culture of the country they're in. I don't usually have the TV on during the day but it has been on a lot in our home these days. In fact I think it was the first time ever I wished we had a TV upstairs...which other than every two years when the Olympics is on would never get used. Needless to say I'll be sad when this weekend is over and we have to wait another two years for the summer games. I think I've made an Olympic viewer out of Lauren too. She has enjoyed the special nights when she watches them with me for a few extra minutes while daddy is putting Olivia down. Her favorite is the luge and the skeleton...yikes...she likes the big icey slide. She was bummed after watching the opening ceremony with me to find that they don't have flags waving for each event, lol. Gotta love that girl. 

What else has been going on? Well we just got over a week or two of sickness. It started with me, but true to form my "Teacher Immune System" keeps me from being down and out for too long. In fact, this time around I just felt like I was going to get something bad, and was extra tired only to never have much come of it. Then Lauren, and Matt too. Lauren didn't get much more than me- except her nose was runny for a week or so. Matt, also true to form, was down and out for a week, plus. He was still able to go to work but was just done when he came home. Olivia got the worst of it, poor girl. She had a fever, runny nose, and was super tired and crabby once she spent what little energy she had. So by the end of last week I was feeling like a caged, wild animal. Matt was so sweet because he took on full time daddy duty this past Saturday and allowed me so repreve. 

So what does a girl do...oh I decided an exercise class would be a great way to get me out the house and shake the muscle atrophy from the week. Well I'm still not 100% recovered from this. I did a class I've never done before called BodyPump. I had no idea what I was getting into. First I show up a minute or two late and didn't realized I should get there early since there was equipment to set up. So while everyone is doing the warm up I'm trying to figure out what I will need. Maybe missing the warm up caused me to ache so bad...yeah that's it. Anyway, I'm keeping up pretty well, muscles burning from each move. The class pretty much does a song per muscle group. So you spend like 3-5 minutes working each of the major groups, while holding weights. It was about halfway through when she instructed us we'd need a "free weight" that I didn't have and needed to get- it was that moment when my eyes opened to the pain I was going to be in. Bless my heart. I was trying not to be obtrusive, I started walking back to get the weight and I have never in my life felt like I did in that moment- the only way to describe the way in which my muscles were acting/feeling was to call myself a robot made of jell-o. I had to look at myself in the mirror when I was walking back to my spot just to see of other people could see what I was feeling. Oh I'm laughing now, but I wasn't then. Mind you I still had the majority of the hour left. I've ached for days- I've never felt so old. I'm hoping Zumba tonight will help shake out the last of the ache that is still lingering behind, a mere five days later.

Oh I also had a wonderful evening out with some friends for dinner that night too. It's funny, sometimes when I get together with people I use to work with I feel like such an outsider. I was thinking about why that is. It dawned on my earlier this week why. When we moved here all the friends I've made since we have been here were work friends. I've made friends at church too, but not too many my own age and not many that I hang with for the sake of hanging with outside of church- except Jason and Josh- I do miss them both dearly and this is just one of the reasons. Anyway, when I decided to stay home it was something that separated me from them and it separated us from a common bond. Now, I can related in a way to their work conversations and enjoy listen to them- but I'm not part of them. This evening happened to be a night with all women who still work at one of my former schools. It was just that when they were talking about school stuff I could just listen and nod my head and then when the conversation turns to me and what I've been up to, it's like we reverse roles- I talk and they nod their heads. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed my time out, a meal I didn't have to cook, and the adult conversation, friendly faces- but it just feels different. As I was continuing to analyze the situation and try to figure out why I feel this way, it has made me realize that the two friends whom I'm relate to the most these days are my sister (who lives seven plus hours away) and Esther (whom I usually see with kids in toe) and so I don't get out with these two ladies very often without kids. I don't feel like I want more friends, I have a hard time keeping up with the ones I have but I just needed to understand why it feels different, so I can get over it and move on. And thus I have. As the World Turns...

Oh I think I could honestly write for another hour, but dinner isn't going to cook itself and these girls are like a ticking time bomb this late in the naptime, so alas I'm forced back to the crazy I love- my life!

"What is God's character like?"..."What you've asked, Matthew, is the most important question in all of life. It is the universal question. Finding the answer to those five simple words you just spoke is the only thing life is really about." ~The Eleventh Hour, Michael Phillips page 165-166

No comments:

Post a Comment