....................................................

....................................................

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Finding the EXTRAordinary in the Ordinary!

I caught myself the other day. I caught myself being a nag. I don't like that I can get that way. I feel like I just need to get EVERYthing done at this one moment and it can't happen fast enough so I start nagging those around me. I find myself struggling to juggle it all. And am I surprised? NO! I can't get it all done and there isn't a human being on this earth that can, so why I hold myself to a higher standard is beyond me. So when I caught myself I turned my head up and said "God help me. Help me PLEASE."

As I was picking up the house later that day I was thinking how blessed I am and God did helped me that day. He helped me to give my house a look over with a different perspective. So as I watched the "tumble weed" of fur float under my feet and I thought what a blessing it is to have those. Those wonderful bundles of fur that litter our floor regularly are signs that a sweet, loving cat lives here. And she's such a snuggly good cat. Those fingerprints on the back door are reminders that a sweet toddler lives here and how she loves to run and see daddy at the back door when he gets off work. The crumbs of past meals that have taken up residence under the table are just God's little reminder of meals eaten, shared, and enjoyed. Dirty dishes too! The wipes and diapers and saliva soaked toys make me think of the giggly baby fast asleep upstairs. The piles of socks, underwear,  pants, and shirts remind me of my loving, wonderful husband who works hard to be the best he can be for us. The rumpled bed sheets remind me of a peaceful, restful nights sleep. 

I'm blessed beyond measure. After I called Matt to apologized for being the "nagging wife" I made sure I thanked him for all he does, day in and day out for our family. I prayed that God would help me lift him up and say thanks more regularly for all that he does do. In fact, later the next day he laughed and said something about how I've been praising him a lot. 

My life didn't change, but my perspective sure did. 

Yes, maybe it's taking us two weeks instead of one to get through our school stuff for 'E' week, but what a joy it is to have Brooke over our house. To give her a safe, fun place to enjoy her days while her parents are hard at work. What joy she brings to us! Helping us learn to share and having a friend to play with.

I might not get it all done, but what is most important is that we are happy. I saw that this past Friday. When I didn't feel like making another meal and then cleaning it up I was hoping to find a friend to go out to lunch with. Esther was busy packing to head out of town, Robin was busy with prior plans, and Matt had too much going on at work. I drove home bummed, but then I was blessed beyond measure as I ate with my two girls. Lauren helped me prep the food and helped with the clean up. She rinsed every dish in the sink so I could put away what was clean in the dishwasher and then all the dirty dishes were ready to load. It didn't feel like a chore at all. Perspective.



May you God always open my eyes to show me the many blessings that surround me and remind me to take a breath and enjoy each moment on this earth. Life isn't perfect and neither am I, so Lord I ask that you guide my days so that they are exactly how you would have them, finding joy in each 'imperfection.' My house might not be the cleanest but it's filled with life- your life breath fills this house with each loving member in it. Thank you for my family and thank you for loving us in a special way only you can. I ask for your hands to hold and protect us. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment